Saturday, October 8, 2011

Snow White and the 7 Gay Dwarfs --> a black out

Yesterday, was my turn to remix the group Snow White piece. I latched onto the project for many reasons but to be frank, I thought doing a group project who simplify my heavy load. Well this thought was horribly incorrect. I had to take Josh's piece "Snow White and the Seven Gay Dwarfs" and transform it to have a completely different message. I remixed and remixed and remixed growing more frustrated as it got later. I couldn't get this sexualized version out of my head. I kept thinking I don't have the proper tools but couldn't fight the projects tight boundaries. I wanted to do an experimental piece but it just seemed silly so after my attempt because I could not match up a score. After 5 different edits, I decided to go along with the narrative "Snow White and her Light". I have no idea where this idea came from to be honest. Some of the hardest things was mixing a score from a rape/murder sound track. I had to come up with something out of that! The other more difficult part was getting past the filters that he had applied. I lowered the opacity a a lot and overlaid it onto a black slug but you can still see changes in tonality. I created a candle out of a close up shot, turned a song to a call for help, and  romanticized a menial task. I expressed to Josh my frustration throughout this process and he came as a voice of clarity saying, "Agreed, except our tasks are kind of opposite; I was trying to condense and you are mostly trying to expand. I tried to use a wide range of images and minimize how much I changed them from the original to give you more options for at least the first round haha. I'm interested to see how it morphs under the pressure :-)"  I am sorry Josh but my expanding didn't go as expected. I was going to do crazy filters, transitions, multiplies but then I thought about the next artist who would work with the piece and how they would have to come up with something with even less material than I had. 
 I would definitely say this was not a very successful edit but given the parameters it really pushes you to think outside the box and do things you aren't comfortable with. I have probably done 3 linear narratives in my life and now I did the one thing I always try to avoid.  Yesterday, I did an experiment in the EPG lab and was hook up to hundreds of electrodes, they never called me by my name but just "the subject"; now I know how Snow White must have felt when I was experimenting on her world. I hope this project grows and look forward to seeing it reach its maturity. 



transformed to my 2nd edit:  http://vimeo.com/30222920

No comments:

Post a Comment