Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Participatory Artwork

While in New York I experienced a lot of different installation pieces that I as the viewer had to help the artist complete. My actions determined the path the work took. For example, my favorite piece that I saw was a part of the exhibition "Living as Form" at Creativetime called "Golden Ghost(The Future Belongs To)" by the artist Surasi Kusolwong. I grabbed my boyfriend and we dove into a mountain of colorful thread. Laying there enjoying the comfort of the mass thread we then crawled around not realizing we were intended to be in search of something. The experience was absolutely brilliant. We got out covered in a rainbow of fur like thread; my boyfriend sporting a blue tail and I a speckled pair of black pants and various colored highlights in my hair. We ourselves had taken away a part of the piece and as much as we tried to pull off every thread it was impossible. The concept behind the piece was looking at consumerism reversing the hierarchy instilling frustration in the viewer by way of less traditional form of art work engaging the viewer to take part in the work. Inside this mottled mountain were 6 hidden golden necklaces the artist had created containing the symbol of a ghost. It was like finding a needle in a haystack (which despite my digging, crawling, throwing, and rolling I did not find). I loved the experience especially doing it with another. The artist’s idea of consumerism came across but also allowed room for the participants’ own interpretation.


            For my second project I wanted to take this idea of participatory and translate it into a documentary style film. How to translate these vignettes is a mystery at the moment. My documentation of participation of simple things throughout the day was interesting to me. I wondered why I choose to record the things I did and why did I choose that certain device to do it. I used my boyfriends Iphone to take images and videos of something urgent (something that would last for a short amount of time), I used my own cell phone when I had a bit more time but was still out and about. I used my ipod when I wanted to be conspicuous and appeared as if I were just listening to music rather then being a voyeur. I used my DSLR when constructing a more aesthetic, controllable image as well as being mindful of stop motion.  I would also like to incorporate a scanner into my project perhaps through the use of photography. I found it very difficult to use these devices at an artist level and hope to keep them as raw and true to what I saw. I hope I am able to translate my idea and people will appreciate seeing things through my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment