Thursday, October 20, 2011

Response to: "Why Star Wars should be left to the fans" By: Will Gompertz

While reading this article I began to question my own work. I believe that the artist and the viewer have separate intentions and interpretations of the work. Through critiques within school I have learned a lot about my own work but as the artist I can either accept or reject the criticism. If I feel something is not complete at the time I display it ( which happens often due to due dates) I would change it later on. Josh and I found this with our remix project; the project we displayed was the process rather than what we would interpret as the final product( if there is one there this could be a continuos loop that goes on forever). George Lucas had a similar feeling; the film was his and although beloved by fans HE changed it as he had intended it to be. In the article, it said the reason for change was due to technical evolution. It also said,  "'films never get finished, they get abandoned' and that he thought it the 'director's prerogative … to go back and reinvent a movie'. Which it appears to mean replacing the old version, not adding a new one to complement it." I agree with Duchamp's Creative Act; however, his idea of transference ( "the moment when the artist hands over control of his or her artwork to an audience") is not something I comply with. Yes, the artist hands the work to the public but I believe it then because a separate piece of artwork, 1)the artist's work and 2)the audiences interpretation of the work. The spectator does validate the works inner qualification in the public sphere but that is the "second" (audiences interpretation) piece of work not the artist's; an artist is not looking for approval they are making a statement. I side with Lucas what he is doing is not wrong because as an artist if I felt that something were unfinished I would not want it out in the public sphere to be falsely criticized. An artist may not be the best person to judge their own artwork and of course they should listen to their fans but in the end the first edition is their creation. Lucas has now allowed multiple layers of one piece and by destroying one he felt did not fit with his vision is not wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14944240 (original source)

    ReplyDelete